If I were a software company producing productivity enhancing tools Iâ€™d love to have a tag line of:
Use â€˜Xâ€™ â€“ itâ€™ll save you at least a minute a day!
I think this would be interesting for a number of reasons:
- Itâ€™s believable
- People would be able to easily verify the claim (much better than that â€˜improves performance by 39.8%â€™ tosh we get bombarded with)
- The claim is so tiny it makes you think. What seems laughable at first, is actually useful over time ie 6 hours a year
- Youâ€™ll probably assume this is the minimum and look for more benefits (ie expect to be over-delivered to)
- The company will have credibility early on (since they donâ€™t make outrageous claims)
- You may laugh and tell your friends
Which brings me to ClearContext. Iâ€™ve been using ClearContext for 9 months or so now and I think it is pretty useful. Itâ€™s not revolutionising my daily productivity or anything outrageous like that, but I can tell you that whenever I re-install my machine, Outlook seems pretty vanilla until I get ClearContext re-installed.
ClearContext is an Outlook add-in. Itâ€™s basically a tool for organising and managing your Outlook â€˜habitâ€™. The premise is that we live most of our working day in Outlook, so by adding a few simple shortcuts we can make our day more productive. Even if only by a few minutes here and there.
I couldnâ€™t really do justice to all its features (and I only use a few anyway) so youâ€™re better off checking out the site directly. For the record my favourite feature is the â€˜Deferâ€™ button.
Itâ€™s a great product and I recommend it. They have a free version and a Professional version (which I have â€“ yep I shelled out the bucks).
My only problem with ClearContextâ€¦ their claims. If Iâ€™d seen their annual saving calculator before Iâ€™d purchased Iâ€™d have thought twiceâ€¦ If you want an example of ROI marketing gone too far make sure you click on the Calculate button.
Theyâ€™ve just released their new version which I downloaded and installed straight away. As usual it is fast, intuitive and saving me time â€“ a minute at least :-) – every day.