SEO Blogs & Resources
- SEO Book – My favourite SEO blog and resource, by Aaron Wall. I’m a member of Aaron’s SEO Book training program. At $300 a month to be a member it may seem expensive, but I consider it excellent value. It’s where I’ve learnt the majority of my SEO and internet marketing skills. Includes a private forum with 100% noise free, cutting edge content. Even if you don’t join his program, make sure you read his blog and use his excellent range of free tools.
- SEOmoz – My second favourite resource, written by Rand Fishkin and the gang. I don’t always agree with some of the blog posts, but they are certainly stimulating and I’ve learnt a lot. I’m a member of the SEOmoz Pro membership. This article on ranking factors is a must read.
- Search Engine Land – A daily must-read. Suffers from a tiny bit of noise (or less than awesome blog posts) but for the most part is highly informative. Founded and largely driven by the SEO industry’s grand-master Danny Sullivan.
- Occam’s Razor – the definitive blog on analytics (particularly Google Analytics) written by Avinash Kaushik
- Google Keyword Tool
- Microsoft Advertising Intelligence – excellent Excel plugin for performing keyword research
- Google Trends
- Google Insights
- Google Search Based Keyword Tool
- Wordstream Keyword Tool & Niche Finder
- Google Analytics
- Clicky – analytics package (ideal for sites you don’t want to use Google analytics with)
- Mint – Super simple self-hosted analytics package (requires PHP and MySQL)
- Advanced Web Rnaking – My favourite rank checking tool set
- SEO Book tools – Aaron’s collection of free SEO tools – highly recommended
- SEOmoz Tools
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Bing Webmaster Tools
- Yahoo Site Explorer
- Open Site Explorer
- Microsoft IIS SEO Toolkit
- Crazy Egg – helps visualize what visitors are doing on your site
- ClickTale – record videos of how users interact with your site
- Google Website Optimizer – A/B testing (not as simple as I’d like, but free)
- Visual Website Optimizer – makes A/B split and multivariate testing really simple
- Google AdWords – advertise your site on Google search engine results and content network sites
- Microsoft adCenter – advertise on the Bing search engine results and Bing content network sites
- Yahoo Search Marketing – Yahoo’s search marketing solution. Big accounts also get access to Yahoo analytics
- Web Analytics 2.0 by Avinash Kaushik – every page is pure gold (see also Avinash’s excellent blog).
- The Art of SEO by Eric Enge, Stephen Spencer, Rank Fishkin and Jessie Stricchiola – the best in-depth book on SEO I’ve read.