CategoryCommunity

Web Directions South – Day 1

[NOTE: I wrote this post and the next over a week ago. But I wanted to hold off posting them until I’d had a little bit of time to reflect.] I had the pleasure of attending Web Directions South today – my first time. It’s interesting to compare it to TechEd from a few weeks ago in terms of how a conference turns out. Web Directions is much smaller of course, and has a nice intimate feel...

Sydney ALT.NET User Group review #altnetsyd

I went along to the Sydney ALT.NET User group tonight, and was well rewarded. This was the kickoff meeting for the group and was an excellent start to what is sure to be an extremely useful gathering each month. Richard Banks was MC for the night, and started with news. I was pleased to hear good discussion amongst the attendees, and comfortable interaction. There’s nothing worse than a meeting...

COMMUNITY: Upcoming User Groups in Sydney

I love the weather in September. Warm, breezy and the days are getting longer. The cold and dark of winter is gone and it’s time to come out and party a bit. Which is why its a perfect time to start attending all the great User Groups around Sydney again. Here’s a quick rundown of the main groups around town this month: This week Tue 16 September: Sydney SharePoint User Group – covering how...

Corneliu – Anti-spam email encoding tool

I’ve been meaning to blog link this for ages, because I use it all the time but always have to go searching for the URL… So here it is, Corneliu’s most excellently helpful Anti-spam email encoding tool. Put in your email address and it’ll return a nice encoded one that most spam bots won’t recognise (sure the smarter they become the less effective this will be, but you’ve still got a...

COMMUNITY: SQL Code Camp – October 11 & 12, 2008

Just a quick note to mention SQL Code Camp (organized by Greg Low) coming up later this year in October . I’ve been to all the Code Camps and SQL Code Camp except one (I missed the very first SQL one) and heartily recommend them. I’ve given my general views on Code Camp in the past, and my opinion is unchanged – these are must-attend events for developers from anywhere in Australia. The...

Chris Williams – INETA Director of User Group Recruitment

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. INETA seems to cop a lot of flack in the developer circles I mix in, and from my perspective some of it is valid criticism. Chris Williams has his own thoughts on the matter along those lines, and rather than sit on the sidelines (as I and many other armchair critics do :-) – he’s keen to get in and fix things. Today he notes...

TIP: Introducing people who already know each other

No doubt you’ve done this at some point: You’re at an event or user group and find yourself chatting with someone new. A friend of yours strolls over and joins the conversation. Being the polite person you are you introduce your friend to the new person. They reply with ‘oh yes, we already know each other – Bob here is my brother…’ Easy to feel embarrassed...

SBTUG: Mitch Denny speaking on Enterprise Software Development this Wed + Prizes!

This Wednesday 30 April 2008 at the Sydney Business & Technology User Group (SBTUG) we’ve got another great meeting organised. This month: The Evolution of Enterprise Software Development presented by Mitch Denny. When: This Wed 30 April 2008 Time: 6pm (until approx 8:30pm) Where: Microsoft, North Ryde Contact: Craig Bailey : 0413 489 388 Cost: Free (Pizza all provided) Plus: Prize:...

COMMUNITY: CodeCampOz 2008 report

When: 25-27 April 2008 Where: Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia This has easily been the best CodeCampOz I’ve been to (and I’ve been to all of them :-). Mitch and Greg have done another stellar job organising this event. All of the sessions have been high quality and relevant. Big thanks to Microsoft, Readify, IT Masters, SSW and CSU for their involvement. The Twitter coverage has been a...

CodeCampOz and SBTUG this month

I’m heading home from the US of A today, which sees me arrive back in Sydney (hopefully) on Thursday morning 24 April. CodeCampOz The next day I head down to Wagga for CodeCampOz. That finishes up on Sunday (27 April) and I fly back to Sydney that night. Elcom On Monday I’m back in the office, ready to start spreading the good news to the team (within NDA guidelines of course –...

Archives